As this adventure is meant to be a learning opportunity for me, I will be posting from time to time my lessons learned. Here is my list for Kasane:
- Wear breathable fabrics only when getting dressed in the morning.
- Don’t wear pants if you are a woman – the less fabric you have on the better as it allows for air flow especially if you are in four hour meetings.
- Baboons playing outside the window are totally distracting which makes it hard to concentrate on what is actually be said during the meeting.
- Don’t even bother putting any make-up on as it will just come right back off – lip balm is only thing you need.
- If you have hair that is long enough to touch your neck always keep a hair clip or hair band in your bag.
- Multiple ceiling fans operating at once can make anyone woman look like Beyonce – that one was for you Neil;)
- Warthogs really are adorable up close and if I lived here I would constantly have them in my front yard – yesterday we came out from visiting a neighbourhood clinic and the house that our truck was parked in front of had two sleeping up by their front door.
- That sleeping in a poster bed with mosquito netting surrounding it was on my bucket list – it really makes you feel like you have captured that Out of Africa experience.
- Men from Southern Africa are gentlemen and like to hold doors open, pull out chairs, carry luggage and do other things for women. They get very offended when you don’t let them or automatically do it for yourself – Big lesson learned!
- I really do love being in Botswana.